Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Halloween Science Demos

Ok, this is my last Halloween post- I promise! I thought I'd share that the slime recipe from my last post is not great, and only made good slime in one of my four classes (By good I mean pliable, not too messy). I also thought I'd share some of the demos I did with a small group of students during the Halloween Party:

1. Calcium in water: it fizzles and smokes and turns a really nice hot pink if you had phenolphthalein to the water first.
2. Calcium in copper sulfate: if you put enough of it, it smokes and turns an opaque baby blue color.
3. Congo Red indicator in acid/base. We pretended it was blood.
4. Iodine tincture (Lugol's solution) on a potato chip, or whatever junk food we found at the party.
5. Silver plating keys, other metals the students had with silver nitrate.

Overall, I've learned that Halloween is a GREAT way to sneak in science!

No comments:

Post a Comment